In an effort to ease back into writing ... prose ... at all, I am taking fic prompts! The goal is to sic myself on one of these bad boys every day and eventually get back up to the point where I am writing original stuff again. Or at least some epic Avengers fic or something, idk.Fandoms/Canons I'll Write For
Any canon I've RPed from is fair game, though if it's been a while I might have to turn you down (especially if the canon's updated and I haven't caught up). A short list of available canons:
Stuff I Will Write
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (Avengers and surrounding movies + X-Men First Class; no Spiderman, sorry)
- Earth's Mightiest Heroes (first season only)
- Sherlock (BBC)
- Legend of Korra (not ATLA unless you want an Azula piece)
- Red vs. Blue (all seasons)
- Star Trek (2009)
- Back to the Future
- Hunger Games (works best as crossover material?)
- Ao no Exorcist
- Persona 3/4
- Phoenix Wright (1-4, not Investigations 1 or 2)
- CLAMP (xxxHoLiC, TRC, X, CCS, Rayearth)
- Witch Hunter Robin
- Crossovers!! Any of the above.
- Original (Exalted and Ludi, primarily)
- Sabra La Tau (any character, with the caveat that it's Probably Not Canon)
- Any RP relationship we've had, romantic or not (Sabra/Aather/Arbas/EC)
- Any RP ship I've played with or I've squeed about you with (you know who you are)
OKAY ENOUGH WITH THE LISTS
- Anything rated PG-13 or below. No graphic depictions of violence, no sex past fade to black. Trust me, you don't want me writing you sexy-times either.
- Swearing, on the other hand, will happen a hell of a lot.
- Requests for tropes (kidnapping, deaging, etc.) or non-overt/romantic kinks (hurt/comfort, sharing warmth in a remote cabin, stuff like that) are a-okay. I never met a dumb trope I didn't like. :>
- No overtly sexual tropes, which is kind of a subjective distinction, I know. If I'm not comfortable writing something, I'll let you know so you can pick something else. ♥
- No non-con or anything along those lines.
- If I don't know a pairing/character well enough, I'll let you know that too.
- While I will try to write at least one prompt per day in the order I receive them, I reserve the right to skip around like mad on the second/third/whatever prompts for the day.
- Fics will prooobably range in the 500-1000 word range unless I get carried away. Think kink meme fill size.
Just drop a comment with the name of the canon, the characters / relationship / whatever involved, and your fic prompt(s). You can leave multiple if you want but if there's a prompt you reaaaallly want me to fill, make sure you indicate that. Think of it like a kink meme!! Except I guess I'm the only one filling the prompts? ... unless you see one that you really want to fill yourself. In which case, have at it.
FINISHED PERCY JACKSON
Still think Riordan could have done a lot more with the mythology (though I liked what he did do), but they were entertaining and the characters were pretty fabulous. I want to squish Nico. sotiny grumpy zombie kid.
Also, I found out that the books are, in fact, out in Japanese. And my local library has them. I ... am good enough to actually read these books in Japanese, but it was still interesting seeing them.
I know I saw a Percy Jackson fic floating around my FL somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Percy + Nico? ... Percy/Nico? idk, I don't remember. Is there any good fanfiction out there? Is anyone writing fanfiction for it?
This whole series just reminds me of how much I miss playing in a Scion campaign. And it makes me kind of wish there was an OC RPG out there built around this concept. Mythology + demigod OCs = win.
ffff I am once again writing more retarded Firefly/Star Trek crossovery stuff. This one's gonna be long though, so no posting until I finish the story.
But! I still feel like writing ... stuff. It is weird for me to feel in a truly fanficcy mood. Most of the time my creative energy gets eaten up by RPGs, but sometimes I get bursts of writing energy too. ... usually prompted by kink memes, actually. My last big one was for Persona 4. I should probably actually post/link to those fics here someday. But I kind of like being anonymous in that fandom. Plus I didn't finish my super-big project. OOPS.
Sooo shortfic meme! Give me a prompt (fandom + characters/focus + something else (a line, an image, an AU idea, anything) and I will write you a brief fic! As long as I know the fandom, I'm willing to give it a try. So that means ... basically anything I've RPed for a significant length of time, or fandoms I have fic involvements with. Requesting something from my original stuff is fab too, but I ... seriously doubt that would happen? anyway.
+ CFUD (yes it's a fandom, shut up)
+ CLAMP (just about anything, especially TRC/Holic)
+ Persona 3/4
+ Star Wars EU (mostly the Solo kids)
+ Star Trek XI
+ Kingdom Hearts (minus new spoilers)
+ Eyeshield 21
+ Phoenix Wright
+ Mark of the Succubus
+ Percy Jackson (books 1-3 only; I will kick you in the face if you spoil me)
+ Batman Beyond
+ FMA (I am way, way behind on the manga though)
+ Anything else you think I know because ffff I am forgetting stuff.
QUALITY IS NOT GUARANTEED fics will probably be written in like ten minutes void where prohibited.
ffffffff I never thought I'd write fic again. Much less fic for THIS fandom. This is what shiny does to me. orz.Title:
New!Trek. With some TOS mixed in.Genre:
Gen, primarily Kirk, Bones, and Spock. A few pairing hints if you squint.Wordcount:
None; some violence and language.Notes:
This is a fic that probably could
be worked out into a full plot-type thing … but I honestly don’t have the energy (or the TOS know how) to pull it off. Consider it an exercise in premise rather than plot. ( Life as Captain James T. Kirk is never anything short of exciting. )
A summary of my week:
* Unf, it feels so good to have a proper OC again. ♥ Sumiya Miho @ All My Sees doesn't really count, since she's basically an original character apped into a canon game.
I ended up joining The Wild Edge
as Kaz, my brand new mildly crazy Japanese dude. AJ was great and put up with me babbling about her re: all the crazy shit I wanted to do with his backstory. I now have a character who blew up a town when he was sixteen! Awesome.
Anyway, the game looks like it'll be a lot of fun, so I hope it takes off quickly. I'm mostly just excited to be doing anything resembling original writing again. Jon and I are gonna do a small writing exchange too -- one week he writes something and I critique, the next I write something and he critiques. ... that is, after we actually get our outlines done. I got completely distracted by Kaz's app and didn't do anything. Oops!
* I had to give a twenty-minute speech to the local Rotary Club this week. All in Japanese. Without being informed
about the fact that it would all be in Japanese until I got in the car to go to the meeting place. Hello heart attack! ... but I survived anyway, somehow, so I guess it went all right.
* Saw the new Goemon movie in Japanese. It was pretty, but terribly confusing. I can't wait to see Star Trek next week.
* Went hiking with adorable little kindergarteners! We rode plastic sleds down the side of the mountain, despite the fact that there obviously wasn't any snow. They asked me all sorts of fun questions, like "What's 'dragonfly' in English? What's 'leaf'? What's 'flower'? What's 'pee'?" o my students.
* Reapped Shin at CFUD. Yaaaaay my football retard. The best part? He and Sakuraba are now splitting Souji's Hanged Man s.link. :|d
* I have two DW codes. Anybody want 'em?
Got a brace for my ankle; wrapping it up whenever it starts to ache helps keep it from hurting, and it's usually stopped pinging me by the time I start losing circulation, so. It's working out so far.
I had a gradeschool visit today. The kids were adorable, as always, and the older ones were pretty impressed by my stash of American money and (my coup de grace) the English Shounen Jump. One of my teachers even asked to copy one of the One Piece chapters to give to her son. Spreadin' American culture by ... giving Japanese people English versions of their own manga, whoo! Getting out to the school, however, was absolute hell. Riding a bike in a long skirt = hard. Riding against the crazy wind we get out here = harder. Riding a bike in a long skirt against the crazy wind we get out here? Nigh on fucking impossible. I had to get off the bike several times and start walking because I just could not keep pedaling.
And I lost the hair tie I'd been using to keep my skirt hiked up. The wind snagged sent it flying into a rice paddy when I stopped to readjust my skirt. ... one day, some poor rice farmer is gonna find a random hair tie in his field and not know how the hell it got there.
In other news, I ... kind of want to do some original writing again. I've been meaning to rewrite my serial novel project for a while; there were a lot of flaws with the first version, I think, and I have some different ideas for the direction I want to take it in this time. (It doesn't help that the character I killed off at the beginning of the first draft has insisted on resurrecting himself. And informing me that he has a family, thank you very much.) DW seems a good spot for it; I don't want to go back to Blogger if I can help it, and I'm not quite comfortable with spamming it up on LJ. ... but I don't know much I want to do with it. Full chapters would be too much work; tiny snippets probably won't end up being "real" enough for me to feel like I'm actually writing. Smaller pieces with a looser, overarching plot or theme? idk.
fffff my ankle is hurting like a bitch
I don't know what the hell is up with it. It's mostly okay at work, when I'm ... y'know, actually walking on it. But as soon as I get home and lie down on my magical chairbed thing, it starts kicking up a horrible fuss. And by the time I'm ready to go to bed for the night, it's usually aching like crazy. dammit ankle what did I ever do to you. stop fussing at me. :(
On the plus side, when I got home today, it was GORGEOUSLY sunny out, and the window into my bedroom was at juuust the right angle to give me a huge sunny spot right there on the tatami. I laid out my magical chairbed cushion thing and just. Slept in the sun for like an hour with a sock tied around my head (to keep the sun out of my eyes). That was all kinds of lovely.
I have been devouring
books lately. There's a lot of reasons for that, which all mostly boil down to the fact that I tend to have 2-3 hours at work daily where there isn't much for me to do. (Well, there's always internet/RP to distract me, but a) I can only get lost in TV Tropes so many times before my head starts hurting, and b) all three of my pretendy funtime games can get pretty quiet during the JST-afternoon.) Part of it's also 'cause I didn't have steady access to fresh English-language books for several months. So now that I suddenly have a Kindle'd iPod to read with, I've basically been following up on any remotely
interesting-sounding books that show up on my FList.
tl;dr YAY BOOKS. In particular, the books I've read in the past couple of months:( mooostly spoiler-free review-rantings for Temeraire, The Accidental Time Machine, Dragonhaven, Fires of the Faithful, and The Lightning Thief )Current Reading ListBonk
by Mary Roach (saw a rec for it on the internet)The Hero With a Thousand Faces
by Joseph Campbell (classicccc)The Sea of Monsters
by Rick RiordanBooks I Will Probably BuyThe Lies of Locke Lamora
by Scott LynchNightlife
by Rob ThurmanAffinity
by Sarah Waters
(Empire of Ivory
and Victory of Eagles
eventually)PDFs to Hunt DownThe Doomsday Book
by Connie WillisTo Say Nothing of the Dog
by Connie WillisSunshine
by Robin McKinley (rec'd)Hero
by Perry Moore (do want gay superhero novel)Thirteenth Child
by Patricia C. Wrede (apparently filled with race!fail, but I am weak to pioneer stories hardcore)Finder
by Emma BullExpendable
by James Alan GardnerThe Left Hand of Darkness
by Ursula K. LeGuinHalfway Human
by Carolyn Ives Gilman
recommendations? I'm mostly limited to DLing off of Amazon/Kindle (despite their recent fail, goddamn you Amazon) or importing PDFs, sadly, but other than that I am starving for more good sf/f/superhero novels. Having openly gay characters is a definite bonus, especially if they're more than just random minor characters.